Friday, February 3, 2012

Strawberry cupcakes and getting ready for Mark's Birthday

What am I into today?

It's Austin's teacher's birthday!  Happy Birthday Mrs. Valesquez!  We made her some homemade Strawberry cupcakes from scratch last night.  Sadly, the frosting is not homemade, but it was not in me to make homemade frosting this morning.

Did you guess what was in my box yesterday???  You'll have to guess a little longer since I don't have time to post all about it today.

Today I'm getting ready for Mark's birthday party tomorrow.  I'm making these individual 7 layer dip cups, and some of these crock pot baked beans.  I'm also making my own coleslaw using the KFC recipe.  (this is just one of MANY places you can find it on the web.)  I am cheating a bit though since I bought the preshredded coleslaw mix from Sam's Club.  :)  We have family bringing a fruit salad, a veggie tray, chips, potato skins, jalapeno poppers, and a Chinese chicken salad.  We're having Hebrew National hot dogs.  The REALLY BIG ones.  Am I missing anything?  In our family, pretty much every party is bring your own booze. I will always have water and iced tea available, sometimes lemonade in the summer, and coffee.  Milk for the kids is always available too.  You want beer?  Bring it yourself.  Wine? I sometimes have it, but don't count on it.  When you have a large family, and a small party is close to 20 people, I can't afford to provide booze for everyone.  Or sodas.  We don't drink a lot of soda, so for me to buy a whole bunch and it not to be finished, and then it just sits there. Nope.  I usually will buy a whole bunch of soda's for the 4th of July, and that will last me all through summer and into winter even.  :)

I'm going to share something with you that many of you probably don't know.  We have chickens.  Yes, we live in a city.  But we have 8 hens. If you read my city bylaws, there's nothing there that says we can't have them, yet if you call city hall, they will tell you you aren't allowed.  It's a nice gray area.  So, we have 8 hens.  They give us 3-4 eggs a day right now, and come summer I'll get 7-8.  I haven't bought eggs since just before Christmas 2010.  When I go out to eat and have eggs, I'm always amazed at how much better mine taste at home.  Today my chickens are hanging out in the yard.  I let them free range a couple times a week.  I really like to do it right after it rains.  They get all sorts of goodies then!  Here's a pic of some of them!

       Above is a California White chicken, a Polish and a mix on the far left.  She is a mix of a white frizzle and an Aracauna.

To the right is the mix again, a silver seabright, a buff, and a barred rock.  There's another mix and our Aracauna who are evading the pics.

I never thought that chickens could be pets.  Our buff, Penny, and our Barred rock, Lucy, both let us pet them all the time and even pick them up.  They are very sweet.  Our CA white is starting to let me pet her more often too.

Chickens are probably the easiest pets I've ever owned.  You feed them 2-3 times a week and give clean water.  You clean their coop 3-4 times a year total.  (I use a deep layer method.)  And you can give them ALL your food scraps.  My chickens are the benefactors of all the food left on my kids plates after dinner, as well as leftovers that are just starting to spoil, but aren't spoiled yet, but we wouldn't eat it anymore.  You know that murky stage.  I have found that when I up their protein by giving them meat, usually ground beef of some sort, they give me MORE eggs and better eggs.

So, that's my day.

Happy Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment