Monday, January 30, 2012

Fire pit and toys

What am I into today?

Well, let's talk about yesterday first!  We built our fire pit!  After church, we went to Lowe's and got the recommended 48 bricks.  Then we came home and started building.  Very early Mark realized that where he wanted to put it wasn't going to work, and we ended up putting it where I would have to begin with!  LOL  I could have done it without him and it would have been okay.  :)  But, he finally decides exactly where it's going to go and we start building.  16 bricks on the bottom layer.  We begin the 2nd layer.  I realize that we don't have enough bricks.  I re-count the bottom layer... 17  whoops!  Okay... wait.  Even if I did 16 each, we don't have enough.  What the heck?  I ask if he got them all out of the van.  Yes.  Gah!  I only have 42!  Not good!  We try to make it smaller and we don't like the look of it.  I go back to Lowe's on my own. I grab the 9 bricks we need (we liked 17 around) and I explain to the cashier what happened with the miscount earlier.  Thankfully, it's the same cashier and she says, "I knew I should have counted them earlier.  I'll only charge you for the 3."  :)  That's awesome customer service in my opinion!

I get home and we finish it!  Here it is!







Fire pit with 17 9" bricks around before it's lit.
















With Mark standing right next to it so you can see a size comparison.  He has JUST lit it and it wasn't really going yet















.



A nice fire after it's been going for a few hours.  We really enjoyed it last night.  :)











So, that was last night.  What's up for today?  Take Austin to school.  Go to Sam's Club, pick up Austin from school.  Get all the groceries put away.  I don't need much really.  Pray that all 3 kids take naps at the same time today. Take a nap myself.  I've been up with Cody a lot in the last few days.  It does a number on me after a while.  I start hurting.  My hips are truly killing me. I'm having a hard time just walking sometimes right now.  I also lose my patience with the kids easier and it's not their fault.  Well... it's Cody's fault, but he can't help it.  I have to remind myself that they are 3 and 2 years old a lot and that whatever they are doing or not doing, is probably very age appropriate.

I'm really trying to get my kids be more responsible for things like their toys.  When I get to 'that' point, I grab a trash bag and the toys go in.  And then they get taken away for a few days.  Usually, they aren't missed much.  I'm getting ready to box everything up until they ask for it.  Ha!  Actually, I'm trying really hard to get them to just take out one set of things at a time.  Austin has multiple tracks for his trains, and I really need him to just use one of them at a time.  Audrey just sorta tags along with whatever Austin wants to do so I can't really keep track of what she's taking out or not.  There are not many toys that are HERS besides her baby stroller, her dolls, and the grocery cart.  I mean, there are, but not many that they want to play with together.  It's a process that we are all learning from, one day at a time.

What do you do when your kids don't pick up their toys?

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment