Saturday, January 21, 2012

January 21, 2011

What am I into today?

I'm making these individual pineapple upside down cakes for a family friend's birthday party tonight.  His favorite cake is pineapple upside down cake, but have you ever had it?  Ever have it and wonder, now why didn't I get a bigger piece of pineapple?  Or, Where's my cherry?  Ever have kids steal your cherry from the middle before you could even sit down??  THAT is why I'm making individual ones. 

Last night I made a pistachio crusted salmon for dinner.  It was so good.  :)  If you want the recipe let me know and I'll post it another day.  It's very simple and yet everyone in my family loves it, including Austin and Audrey.  :)

Otherwise, it's a rainy day here in Southern California.  We don't get too many of them, so I actually tend to enjoy them.  I plan on making some oobleck with my kids today.  Just cornstarch and water and a bit of food coloring.  Fun, messy, simple and educational.  Educational you say???  YES!  It's sensory and science! 

I'm hoping to get to some of MY crafting today too.  I really need to weave and I have been itching to spin. 

Oh... and just a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start making 90% of my bread for my family.  Why 90% and not 100%.  I just can't beat a good crusty sourdough bread.  But, this is now my go to 'everyday' bread:  Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread  I got it from a dear friend who has an amazing blog that I read every day.  I can honestly say that other than my own blog, it's the ONLY one I make sure to read every day.  She is an amazing homemaker whom I have learned a lot from.  She is a wonderful Christian Mama who is inspirational to me.  Want to read about it?  Here it is:  Hallee the Homemaker

My question for you today?  Do you plan out rainy day or snow day activities for your kids, or do you just wing it?  Me?  I'm a half and half type of thing.  I'm actually much better at winging it, but I had been looking for some new things recently on Pinterest and was reminded of some of my favorite activities I used to do with the kids in my classroom.  I can guarantee you that the one thing I will be doing today is making Magic Rain Bubbles.  It's so simple. Drizzle a bit of dish washing soap (I prefer Dawn) on the sidewalk outside a window where the kids can see out, and preferably where a puddle forms, and then let the rain come down.  :)  Watch in amazement as your kids stare at the bubbles for 10-15 minutes non stop (while you go to the bathroom by yourself and actually brush your hair) and then the will come back over and over all day long to see if the Magic Rain Bubbles are still there!  See how little, or how much soap it takes!  :)

Have a GREAT Saturday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment